Free Online Computer Courses
You can find free computer classes and tutorials online, they are a great way to practice your computer skills or aquire new ones.
Entry-Level Computer Classes
There are numerous computer classes designed for beginners; they cover a variety of topics, from email and web browsing to word processing and graphic design.
- GCFLearnFree: This treasure trove of free classes is designed for all computer owners, whether you’re a PC, Mac, or Linux fan. Free classes cover email, internet browsing, and Mac and Windows basics. For more advanced users, there are free classes in social media, cloud storage, image editing, and mobile devices that bring you up to date with the most recent hardware and software.
- Alison: “ALISON ABC IT” is a free online information technology course that teaches everyday computing as it relates to work and life. The course focuses on Microsoft Office applications and touch typing. Topics include computer software and hardware, file management, IT safety, email, and word processing. The program takes 15 to 20 hours to complete, and a score of 80% or more in each of the course assessments qualifies you for a self-certification from Alison.
- Home and Learn: All the free online tutorials at the Home and Learn site are aimed toward complete beginners—you don’t need any experience to get started. Tutorials cover Windows XP, Windows 7, and Windows 10, and several courses cover dealing with spyware. Their “Beginner’s Guide to Going Wireless” addresses all the basics, including routers, necessary supplies, and safety.
- Free-ed: Free-ed offers a comprehensive collection of free e-books, courses, and tutorials. Subjects include computer programming, operating systems, database operations, and web scripting, and as well as more advanced topics like design, networking, communications, game design, animation, and virtual reality.
- Meganga: Meganga provides free basic computer training for beginners and seniors. The video tutorials cover computer basics, Windows, troubleshooting, Word, Outlook, and other topics.
Intermediate and Advanced Computer Classes
Once you’ve mastered the basics, you may wish to explore more advanced computer applications, including program design, data analysis, and cybersecurity.
- FutureLearn: This site offers hundreds of free online courses from top universities and other organizations. These classes last up to several weeks each and are suitable for intermediate and advanced computer users. Topics include robotics, social media, digital accessibility, managing your identity, searching and researching, and cybersecurity.
- Coursera: Coursera also features a long list of free courses from universities, as well as renowned institutions like IBM. Computer and technology subjects range from coding languages to data science and machine learning.
- EdX: EdX, like Coursera, features real courses from universities and major institutions. While some of their offerings require a fee, there are dozens of options to learn programming languages, web development, and more for free.
Littlefield, Jamie. “Free Online Computer Classes.” ThoughtCo, Mar. 26, 2020, thoughtco.com/online-computer-classes-1098078.